I don’t actually mind January, I mean there are many things to dislike, like the tax bill due at the end, the short, dark days, being the only person on Instagram that can’t find a blood orange….
So therefore, inspired by the fresh and newness that comes with starting another year, we try to fill it with some adventures and embrace the season; here’s our 10 good things about this January.
In no particular order….
- The brilliant book Nourish Cakes by Marianne Stewart, was released 11th January. It was the first book we worked on, Michael and I propped and styled and I photographed it. It is an amazing feeling to hold something in your hands that you helped create. There was a launch party in Brixton, and with a lot of co-ordination, help (thanks Ma!) and planning. We both got to be out, out at the same time! Is that not a great start to a new year?!! (with thanks forever to Emily Quinton for bringing Marianne & I together) image by Ben Compton
- We went to the Sky Garden naturally our tickets were on the wettest day of the year, but still I thought it was remarkable to be soooo high, for free. I got vertigo on the top viewing platform and had to sit on the floor and then shuffle backwards until I reached the stairs. Always a good look.
- Lego Star Wars on CITV, we lied to the kids and told them we could only watch one episode per night because it was on ‘real’ TV (they know how Netflix / Box Sets work) and each night before bathtime, we huddled under all the blankets and watched it together. Michael is a huge Star Wars fan and gets all the in jokes, we three are catching up but I have to say I loved the Lego version so much more than the recent films (is it ok to say that out loud?)
- A two year anniversary meet up with The Venice Ladies. Jo, Alpana, Jen & I all met at Beth Kirby’s Local Milk Retreat in Venice. I’ve so enjoyed that we have stayed intouch and we had a lovely noodle lunch in Islington during what can all be described as London’s Monsoon Day.
- A visit to Kettners, I will be sharing a full blog post about Soho House’s newest Townhouse renovation. I was very lucky to be invited for lunch and a peek of the rooms and bar area.
- @PrettyLittleEngland – Michael reactivated this account, which I started nearly two years ago in a desperate attempt to be positive about leaving London. It’s not that we see London as the bees knees but our little corner of London is where we were born, raised, went to school, college, worked, lived in A40 traffic jams, boasted about being near RAF Northolt where the Queen flies out of, spent days waiting for signal failures on the Central Line to be fixed and where all our friends and family live…. it’s just home, that’s all. But we do want to keep discovering new places outside the M25 so the account is just about sharing those finds. If you want to join in, head over to @prettylittleengland hashtag your finds #prettylittleengland
- Birthday Parties. Organising a 3 year old and a 5 year old party within two weeks of each other and straight after Christmas. I’m totally high fiving myself for achieving this one! I feel both were a success in that the kids looked like they had fun and went to bed on time due to exhaustion, which is what most parents are aiming for.
- New Recipes on the Blog. If you missed them, there’s a simple Dhal and a Raw Chocolate, Hazelnut and Date Truffle bite one. I’ve really enjoyed having some time to cook and style for the blog.
- An amazing Cake Shoot. It’s not everyday Reshmi from Anges De Sucre visits with X-Ray & P-BEN in tow and a whole lot of cakes.
- Finally, this one you don’t need to read unless you have small people in your life. After 5 years… we are pamper free. Finally H has mastered the art of wearing big girl pants. Woohoo!