Can you feel the end of summer coming, the air changes slightly and there’s a blueness to the light in the mornings. Then there’s the rapidly declining hours of sunlight and it seems we start hurtling towards winter. I’m trying very hard to hang on, but envitably it will happen and I’ll count the days til the light and air starts to change again and I can feel spring coming and that joy I always feel that there will be minutes then hours or extra daylight…
But until then lets enjoy these days with the fruit that is around, plums and blackberries seem to be in an incredible abundance this year. I’ll talk jam next time, but today is about plums and lets start with cake!
200g Butter, unsalted
200g Plain Flour
200g Light Brown Sugar
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
Grated zest of 1 lemon
60ml crème fraiche
3 plums, stones removed, cut into eighths
Icing sugar to dust
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees, grease a 7 inch cake tin with butter.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt
- In a separate bowl, use an electric whisk to beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time whilst continuing to mix then add in the vanilla and crème fraiche.
- Add the flour mixture and bring together with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the mixture into your cake tin, smooth the top until it’s even. Add a spoon of flour to the plums and toss til coated. Then add the plums to the top of the cake mix.
- Bake for 30 minutes then cover with foil and continue to bake for another 20-30 minutes or until an inserted knife/skewer comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool, remove from the tin, dust with the icing sugar and serve.